VINCIT Facebook VINCIT Twitter
VINCIT magazine

Wilcox Powers His Way To Victory Over Ribeiro At Strikeforce Challengers

by admin, November 20, 2010

JACKSON, MISS. (Nov 19, 2010) – A ferocious Justin Wilcox power punched his way to a unanimous decision victory over Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro in the lightweight (155 pounds) STRIKEFROCE Challengers main event, Friday night on SHOWTIME. Former University of Tenn., linebacker turned MMA rising star Ovince St. Preux (8-4) also notched a unanimous decision win over Antwain Britt (11-5) in featured light heavyweight (205 pounds) action from Jackson Convention Complex in Jackson, Miss.

The 31-year-old Wilcox (10-3), a former NCAA wrestling standout for Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, opted to keep the fight standing, punishing Ribeiro with straight right hands throughout their three-round bout. Ribeiro repeatedly tried to take the fight to the ground, but Wilcox fended his opponent off with a well-timed sprawl.

“We came out wanting to exploit his stand up. At AKA, we’ve got the best stand up,” said Wilcox, who was awarded all three rounds by the three judges scoring the fight. Wilcox’s win was his fifth straight.

Asked about a potential matchup with another star in STRIKEFORCE’s lightweight division, undefeated Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm, after the win over Ribeiro, Wilcox acknowledged his interest in facing Beerbohm.

“He keeps calling out the big dogs,” said Wilcox of Beerbohm, “but, if he wants to fight, I’m your Huckleberry.”

A much anticipated bout between go-for-broke strikers Marius Zaromskis (13-5, 1 NC) and Waachiim Spirit Wolf (8-7-1, 1 NC) took a quick, anti-climactic turn after Zaromskis attempted a flying knee out of the gate in the first round, but accidentally stuck a finger in Spirit Wolf’s eye on the way down.

Unable to see properly, a frustrated Spirit Wolf was allotted a five minute period to regain his vision, but could not do so. After he was examined by the ringside physician for the second time during his recovery period, it was determined that the laceration to Spirit Wolf’s eye was too severe for him to continue, prompting a stoppage to the bout and a no contest being declared.

“In the case of an accidental foul, the referee has the discretion to give the fighter up to five minutes regardless of what kind of foul occurs,” said Cory Schafer, STRIKEFORCE Rules Director and ISKA President. “If the foul occurs in the first or second round of a three round fight and the fighter can’t continue as a result of the accidental foul, the bout is declared a no contest.”

One fight later, lightning inexplicably struck for the second time when St. Preux accidentally poked Britt in the eye in the opening seconds of the first round. Fortunately, Britt regained enough of his vision to continue after a brief break and examination from the ringside physician.

Be Sociable, Share!

No Comment for this post

No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.